The Martin Yale 1812 is a capable, commercial grade paper folder that can fold between 5,000
and 12,000 sheets an hour. If you use your machine heavily, you might want to consider
cleaning your rollers at least once a month. After quite a bit of usage you can even replace the
feed tire for your 1812. It is very easy to do.
Check out our video on how to maintain the 1812.
If you don’t already have a maintenance kit, it would be a good idea to get one here.
Here is a list of the components and maintenance instructions that come with your kit:
Whitaker Brothers Roller Cleaner
Use this at minimum once a month.
Spray the roller cleaner on to the applicator pad and distribute on the black fold rollers. You can advance the rollers to get to the concealed sections with minimal effort using your hand. (Remember to use gloves to protect your hands). If you’ve done it correctly, toner residue will be visible on the applicator pad.
Toner residue causes long-lasting and irreversible damage to paper folder rollers. Please apply roller cleaner periodically to maximize the life of your paper folder.
Applicator Pad: To be used in combination with Roller Cleaner.
Use the abrasive side of the applicator pad to get rid of toner build-up. Follow up with the softer side to absorb any remaining toner or roller cleaner. Although the pad will ultimately turn dark from absorbing toner, it will still be useful.
Back-Up Feed Tire Assembly Eventually due to consistent use, the primary feed tire will wear out. The key sign of this is an increase in the occurrence of feed failures.
Removing the feed tire assembly: The feed tire is found by lifting the top cover of the paper folder (if your paper folder does not have a top cover, the feed tire and assembly ought to already be visible). Place your fingers below the sheath where the paper disappears and lift. The feed tire and its assembly will be showing. To take out the tire, grasp the metal bar that holds it and push it to either side – one of those sides will have a little ‘give’, which will let the opposite side of the bar slide out of the machine.
Reinserting the feed tire assembly: To put a new feed tire assembly in, look for the side of the metal bar with a spring on it. Insert that side first into the same hole that you removed the old one from. If both sides fit in seamlessly that means the assembly has been swapped. If one side doesn’t fit properly, just exchange sides and insert the metal bar into the other hole.
***If you have difficulty or would like specific instructions for your model, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 800-243-9226 or fill out the contact form.
- Although toner being absorbed into the rollers is an inevitable part of folding paper, you can decrease the amount of toner that goes through the machine by giving your paper a chance to sit and dry after being printed. If your process doesn’t permit time for that, you may want to think about getting a Paper Jogger. Joggers are reasonably priced, off-line machines that reduce static and dry toner very quickly so that the paper can be folded soon after being printed.
- The fold plates are removable. Lifting up and pulling out will release them and allow clearing of any jams. It can be tough to find the “sweet spot” when reinserting the fold plates, but remember that very little effort is needed to put them back into place, and they will feel secure when positioned correctly.
- If you ever run into recurrent misfeeding, before you clean the rollers or replace the feeder tire, check to make sure you inserted the paper underneath the feed tire. In most paper folders this is done by pushing down on the paper tray and letting the stack of paper slide forward a little bit.
- On the higher end paper folders there is a lever that you pull or push which brings the tray down. This is one of the leading causes of avoidable service calls on paper folders.
- Make sure to share this post with your associates so they know how to maintain your folder as well!
- If you keep a regular maintenance schedule for your Martin Yale 1812, you should have a healthy and happy machine that will last you for a solid few years. If you overuse this commercial grade model and fail to maintain it properly, then it will not serve you to the fullest.
- If you want to know about some different situations in which you may need a paper folder, check out our Blog Post, 6 Scenarios in Which You’ll Need a Folding Device.
- If you are thinking about getting a paper folder, read our blog post Top Things to Consider Before Buying an Automatic Paper Folding Machine to help you make the best choice.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us here or give us a call at 800-243-9226 if you have any questions!